Friday, April 02, 2004

i'm golden!

It's my golden weekend. What this means, in typically pathetic resident lingo, is simply that I have the whole weekend off. (Pathetic in that we have a special term for the occurance, unlike normal people, who dont' need such specialized notation, because normal people don't have to designate special weekends in which they don't have to go to work--that's just what weekends are.) The saddest thing is that it's not really a golden golden weekend in the classic sense, which would be post-call Friday, with Saturday and Sunday off. Nonetheless, for me, two days off in a row is damn near vacation schedule. Imagine, I get to sleep late and go to bed late on the same day! Too bad it's Daylight Savings this Sunday, this carving a precious free hour out of my priceless off-time. I say it every year and I'll say it again: lousy farmers.

So you know what I saw in the med school bookstore the other day? Multicultural family puppets. Mommy, Daddy, brother, sister, baby puppets of different ethnicities. I think they're supposed to be educational...puppets. Maybe you could learn valuable language and social tolerance skills by, uh, puppeteering. The Asian family puppets look kind of evil. I don't know, something about those slanty eyes makes me suspicious. But how about those White family puppets? The mom puppet is totally Christina Crawford in "Mommy Dearest." Also, hello, Thalidomide baby! I got my sister a set of the Hispanic family puppets for her birthday, so that she could practice her Spanish with them. "Hola! Donde estan sus piernas?"

No comments:

Post a Comment