Sunday, April 11, 2004

passover

Just got home from call. Nothing going on all day, and then an admission at 5am. What, kid, couldn't you have showed up a little earlier? Actually, I don't think they could have, because of the Sabbath and Passover.

Speaking of Passover, I ordered dinner last night for the on-call team, and Other Michelle (the oncology on-call resident) told me:


OTHER MICHELLE
Could you order me a cheeseburger, no bun?

MICHELLE
(Writing)
No...bun.

OTHER MICHELLE
Yeah. I'm observing Passover.

MICHELLE
Oh yeah, the no-leavened-bread or whatever.

OTHER MICHELLE
Though obviously, I'm not eating kosher.

MICHELLE
True.


Later, as I was getting orders from Tammy and Anjalee:


MICHELLE
So Other Michelle wants a hamburger with no bun, because of Passover. What do you guys want?

ANJALEE
I'll have the Greek Salad. Do you want to split a side of fries, Tammy?

TAMMY
Yeah, I could eat fries.

ANJALEE
OK, order a side of fries too. Or, oh wait, we could just eat Other Michelle's fries.

MICHELLE
Why wouldn't Other Michelle want to eat her fries?

ANJALEE
She can't eat them, remember? It's Passover. I thought you couldn't eat fries during Passover.

MICHELLE
Dude, she's observing Passover, not a low-carbs diet!

ANJALEE
Oh yeah, I got confused.


I watched "American Splendor" Friday night when Joe was on call. It was different from what I thought it was going to be, but good. It elucidates for me a little bit of the enigma of Harvey Pekar, though it only partially explains to me how you can be a cartoonist and not do your own art. Why not just write in prose then? I guess that's kind of like people who write kid's books and have other people illustrate them.

Currently reading: My employee benefits package.

No comments:

Post a Comment