Sunday, May 02, 2004

beanie babies

At the beginning of the year, my Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) rotation was the one I was approaching with the most trepidation. Everything else seemed scary but within the realm of normalcy--normal-sized kids, somewhat normal problems--but just the thought of all those tiny squirming gummibears in their clear heated pods was frightening and foreign to me. They reminded me of those Beanie Babies they used to sell in protective plastic cases. Don't touch, or they depreciate.

I start the NICU tomorrow.

Aside from the usual first-day cluelessness, like where I'm supposed to go tomorrow and what time I need to get there to pick up my patients, I feel extra-clueless because I'm completely lost when it comes to the language of the NICU. The diseases, the procedures, the parenteral feed fomulations, it's all new. I feel like I just spent a year doing internship but that somehow, I still know nothing. And my second night on NICU, I'm on call. Are they sure they want to let me do this?

I'm nervous. We'll have to see how it all goes.

Today there was a street fair up Third Avenue, which was short (in geographic span) but had all the essentials of streetfair vendory. We got a new dishtowel/oven mitt/potholder set, and I ate a chicken gyro. The dog sniffed at the butts of other dogs. We ate some kettle corn. Then I came home and watched some nonsense on CNN about the series finale of "Friends." Yes, CNN the news station. With the war and the election in full swing, this is news? I'm so sick of hearing about "Friends" and the end thereof. And, yet, I watched this CNN special. What does this say about me?

Do you know what else I watched? That movie, "Love Actually." Ask me if I liked it. (No, actually.) I'd heard it was pretty good from several reputable sources, but I ended up thinking it was kind of stupid. The only subplot that I thought rang vaguely of truth was the one with Emma Thompson and her husband, and how they left it kind of vague at the end with no pat resolution, as to how one deals with the issue of infidelity in a marriage where there are children and a history in the balance. But the other subplots were dumb. Especially that Liam Neeson one with the dead wife and the step-kid. What the hell was that? Encouraging your kid to run through the security gates in a post-9/11 airport? Poor judgement. (Yes, I know it was just a movie, but still.) People should not thinking that being BFF with your kid equates being a good parent.

And, like the old guys on that Bartle and James ad from the 80's, I say to the people who have made purchases at the Scutmonkey Shop, "Thank you for your support." I mean it. You all are awesome! I added some new products this morning too (tank tops for the warm weather, anyone?), so take a look if you haven't done so already.

Currently watching: "Thirteen". Well, I haven't watched it yet, but I rented it.

Support The Underwear Drawer! Shop at The Scutmonkey Store