Sunday, May 09, 2004

retreat: the aftermath

The intern retreat was so much fun. It was strangely like being in college again. The best part was being able to spend time with friends without having to constantly look at the clock because rounds are starting in 5 minutes, or because we have to run off to clinic and start seeing patients before they destroy the waiting room in an uproar over the long wait. Basically, it was nice to interact like normal people.

It must have been confusing for people around us, I think, to see so many women (with a handful of exceptions, we were women) wandering through the streets of East Hampton, toting cases of beer or looking for a good place to get brunch. I'm not sure what people made of us, though I'm almost certain that more than one person thought that we a sorority. This one older couple actually asked me when I went up to pet their dog, and when I told them that we were Pediatrics residents from [University Hospital] in New York, they promptly asked me for my business card so that they could refer their pregnant-with-twins friend to my clinic. I'm pretty sure that a new mother in The Hamptons is not going to be so psyched with the idea of bringing her babies to my clinic (diplomatically, I'll just say it's not the most posh of environs), but I gamely gave her my contact info and will let the new mom work it out for herself.

The minus of having such a fun weekend is that it eventually ends, and when it's time to go back to work on Monday, you're even more tired than when the weekend began. I have to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to get to the NICU? You have to be kidding me.

Don't be scared, by the way, if the look of this page changes somewhat over the next few days. I'm fiddling around with a couple of different templates because I'm not totally happy with how this current one is working out.

Currently reading: "Eats, Shoots and Leaves". I would be long done with it, but I have to admit I haven't done much reading since Thursday evening.

Support The Underwear Drawer! Shop at The Scutmonkey Store

No comments:

Post a Comment