Thursday, June 10, 2004

no one appreciates my brilliance

So the dog in "The Dogs of Babel" is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Which reminds me of a conversation that happened this weekend.


(Scene: The kitchen of my sister's dorm, the morning of her college graduation)

MICHELLE'S DAD
(Leafing through school paper)
Wow, two people from your school were Rhodes Scholars? That's pretty good, for a small school.

MICHELLE'S SISTER
Yeah. They're smart.

MICHELLE'S DAD
(Getting that lecturing look on his face)
So, an interesting thing about Cecil Rhodes...do you know Cecil Rhodes?

MICHELLE'S SISTER
Personally?

MICHELLE'S DAD
No, he's dead.

MICHELLE'S SISTER
(Under breath)
Duh.

MICHELLE'S DAD
I mean, do you know about his family.

MICHELLE'S SISTER
Uh, that the scholarship is named after them?

MICHELLE'S DAD
But did you know that the country of Rhodesia was named after this family? That they were so wealthy that they named an entire country RHODES-ia? Crazy!

MICHELLE
Big deal. I'm so powerful they named Austria after me.

(Silence)

MICHELLE'S INNER MONOLOGUE
Oh, come on, that was funny.


Currently reading: "The Dogs of Babel". All I needed was a solid commute on the train to really get into this book. Now I'm halfway through it and enjoying it a lot, and not just for the dog-element of the story. Also just started McSweeny's Quarterly, 13th ed. It's all about comics, with an intro by Chris Ware. Quality!

Linktastic! Dating is Hell. Funny stuff. Makes me realize that I haven't been single since I was 21 years old. Maybe I'm missing out on all the fun.

Support The Underwear Drawer! Shop at The Scutmonkey Store!

No comments:

Post a Comment