Tuesday, July 27, 2004

giving the 411 on the 911

So I'm through with Neurology, and these days am toiling back in the ER.  Only not toiling.  It's a lovely combination of summertime and school vacation, meaning that the critical mass of kids in the neighborhood has been cut by at least a half, and of those, fewer are sick.  Therefore, the flow of patients into the Peds ER has been more of a slow trickle than the tsunami I channeled in November.  Nothing better than a nice quiet emergency room.  Summertime, and the living is easy.

(Cue schoolbus accident.)

This afternoon, for the first time ever, I got to call my own husband for a consult.  I was working in the ER working up a kid for rule-out non-accidental trauma, and we needed ophtho to screen for retinal hemorrhages.



JOE
(over the phone)
Ophthalmology, returning a page.
 
MICHELLE
Hey, it's me.
 
JOE
Hey!
 
MICHELLE
I'm actually calling you for business reasons, though.
 
JOE
Yeah?  What?
 
MICHELLE
Need you to come do a retinal exam.  The name is [launches into patient spiel].
 
JOE
OK, got it.  Just need to finish up this one guy in the adult ER and I'll be there.
 
MICHELLE
Great.  I'll tell the parents.  Thanks!  Love you!
 
JOE
Love you too.
(hangs up)
 

Thereby marking the first time I've ever told a consult service that I loved them. 

Currently reading: "Dry."  Read it before, but it's good for the subway.  I'm plus-minus on his writing, but he has some good stories to tell.

Support The Underwear Drawer! Shop at The Scutmonkey Store!

No comments:

Post a Comment