Sunday, November 21, 2004

early to bed, early to rise

I was so tired Friday night that I went to bed at 8:30pm. I'm ninety years old. The plus side is that when I woke up at 5:30 Saturday morning for my day on call, it wasn't really that painful. Thereby also confirming that I'm ninety years old.

While asleep, I had a dream that I was on my way to the hospital to take call, and forgot to bring a sweatshirt to put on when it got cold overnight. This was very upsetting to me. I've had multiple call-related anxiety dreams over the past year and a half in which I'm not wearing appropriate clothing. Like street clothes instead of scrubs, or high heels instead of sneakers. Not that I ever wear heels anyway. But this somehow seems to be the central dream focus of call for me, wearing clothes that confer the right degree of comfort, rather than any concerns about the work or the patients or anything like that.

But anyway, we had a good call last night. Not too busy, and our one sickest patient went to the ICU early in the day, which is not such great news for him, but probably good news for us, given how much hovering he required around his bed. I'm on call again tomorrow, and then again on Thursday. Apparently some anonymous donor provides all the on-call residents Thanksgiving Dinner. I just hope it's not Tofurky.

Currently reading: "The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2004." I wish they included more non-fiction in this edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment