Sunday, February 06, 2005

tko

So we finally saw "Million Dollar Baby" last night, and it deserves every laudatory review it received this season. I was literally thinking about it for the rest of the night--I even had a dream about the movie, if that doesn't sound overly freaky. So good. Why can't more movies be like that? I never thought I'd say this, but I think I have a crush on Clint Eastwood now, even though he's slowly metamorphosizing into a piece of rawhide. And additionally:



MICHELLE
I think Morgan Freeman should narrate everything. Ever.

JOE
Yeah, he has that great voice. Even better than "This is CNN" guy.

MICHELLE
Oh, you mean Mufasa?

JOE
Yeah, Darth Vader.

MICHELLE
I'm with you on that one.


Joe's out tonight with some manly men at some Superbowl party down in the Village somewhere. I didn't go because 1.) I don't care about football, 2.) I can't drink because of Cletus, so that even takes the fun out of sitting on the sidelines, and 3.) I have to wake up at 4:30 tomorrow morning to start in the NICU. Yeah, so apparently, there's this 4:30 AM now.

I think the last time I went to a Superbowl party was two years ago, during my fourth year of med school. I also didn't care about football at the time, but there was sweet sweet non-forbidden teratogenic beer, and this really good artichoke dip that some guy made, so I was OK for the night. However, I remember very vividly that the party took place the night before the Urology match results came out, so there were a couple of stress-cases in the bunch, alternately reciting their rank list in a ritualistic "Rainman"-like way or drinking themselves determinedly into quiet oblivion. Ah, med school. Good times.

Currently reading: "Just Another Kid." I think I read Torey Hayden's first book "One Child" when I was--well, I was in 6th grade, so I must have been 10 or so--and I really got into that whole child psychology angle of the story. Since then, I have read all of her books, even though they are a little Reader's Digest-y and formulaic, just because I found something very comforting in stories about Troubled Youth and The Person Who Cared Enough To Make A Difference. However, despite the fact that I went into Peds (initially at least), I just don't think I have that kind of patience. I once saw a kid in my practice who had some paralyzing phobia of ogres (yes: orgres) after being scared last Halloween by another kid in a "Shrek" mask, and I could not punt her to Child Psych fast enough. Anyway, it's a totally reasonable fear--I'm scared of Mike Meyer's totally played out Scottish accent too.

No comments:

Post a Comment