Saturday, June 11, 2005

not with a bang, but with a whimper

So it's official, I'm no longer a Peds resident. I finished my last PICU call last night, and now I'm on vacation for the last two weeks before I start with Anesthesia. It's all a little anti-climactic since I've basically been phasing out of Peds for the past two months, along with the fact that I just got my schedule from the Anesthesia Department, and apparently my first month is going to be spent on...Peds Surgery. In some ways, I was relieved to see that's how the schedule panned out (unclear if they did that on purpose or if it was just a coincidence), because it's going to make the transition a little easier, and I might know some of the attendings that I'm paired with as many of them rotate through the PICU. However, in some other ways, I wish they had put me on something "adult" for the first month of supervised one-on-one time, because when the hell am I ever going to (re)learn my adult medicine? Then again, that's how I felt two years ago, when I started my Peds internship after I basically hadn't touched a Pediatric patient for nine months. Or any patients, for that matter, since the second half of my fourth year of med school was kind of...relaxed.

It's sad, though, to leave the Peds department. We had good times, and we had bad times, but we had times. And I'm going to be leaving a lot of friends, or at least not seeing them as frequently as I do now. That's the bad part.

The good part is that, to cheer myself up, I got an OR cap to wear on the job. Check it:





That's right, it's printed with SCUTMONKEYS. Ha! (Picture courtesy of the retailer, HoviHats on Ebay.) As you can see, I am rather easy to cheer up.

Now we're headed uptown to my parent's housewarming party. Yeah, my parents just moved. And the reason I never mentioned it up until now is the fact that their new apartment is in the same building, seven floors above their old apartment. Ah, the winds of change.

Currently reading: "Garlic and Sapphires." Well, just finished it, actually. How can I get a job like that? That's only one step down from my real dream job: travel writer. Well, I would have to qualify: travel writer for a publication with a lot of money. I don't want to be living out of a backpack, reviewing hostel after hostel while picking other people's escaped dredlocks and hash bits from my bedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment