Saturday, July 30, 2005

they call him mellow yellow

Just got back home from Cal's third doctor's appointment in the past week. Our Pediatrician agrees that he looks less jaundiced. (It was hard for us to tell if that was the case or if we were just getting used to looking at his yellowness.) It didn't help, of course, that we dressed him entirely in yellow for the last visit, just to make things more subjectively confusing for everyone involved. He still has a touch of scleral icterus, and you can see the jaundice on his palate and tongue a little, but overall, he's looking good, and almost back up to his birth weight. Hoorah for eating!




Joe's parents got into town yesterday evening to visit the New Kid on the Block (oh, oh, oh oh oh...the right stuff) and right now they're cooking up a big Italian storm in the kitchen so we can stock up our strategic freezer reserves for the next few weeks. Of course, they're flipping out about the baby. Now hear this: grandparents love babies! Later, more unique insights, like dogs love bacon and rain is wet.




Yesterday Joe asked me if I was going to be jealous of our nanny. I had to think about that one. It's absolutely no question that I enjoy my job and I'll be excited to head back when the time comes...but on the other hand, it kind of kills me that we're basically hiring someone to do with our kid during the day what Joe or I would love to be doing ourselves. It's not that I want to be a stay at home mom or anything like that, because my job fulfills me in a different sort of a way, but I just wish that the choice wasn't so extreme one way other the other. I know the hours I work are in large part due to the fact that I'm still a resident, but sometimes it just seems like I basically have a choice between being out of the house at least 14 hours a day or just quitting medicine altogether. Which, obviously, is not really much of a "choice" at all. It's going to be a big adjustment to go back and juggle home life and work life is all I'm saying. I mean, we're up for it--Joe and I have been planning our schedules and plotting various family-time scenarios (getting our weekends off together, our evening routine with the kid after work), but the more I think about it, the more I realize that ideal solution to being able to put as much of myself into work and family as I would like is just to clone myself.

("There is no Island!")

I'm so grateful to have the few weeks off with Cal that I do. And I'm just trying as hard as I can to enjoy myself and not get all stressed and sad about what it's going to be like when those few weeks are over.




(Oh, and for those who asked: the stroller is working out great. The more we use it, the more we realize it's the ideal city stroller. Very versatile, very smooth, very steerable. And since it's different and kinda cool-looking, we're turning more than a few heads on the street with stroller envy. Not that we care about that kind of thing...except that WE TOTALLY DO.)

Currently reading: "Embroideries," the new Marjane Satrapi offering. It's a nice little snack of a book.

1 comment: