Saturday, October 29, 2005

slow down, you move too fast / you've got to make the moment last




First, the obligatory weekend baby picture. Joe's parents sent him a pair of new pajamas. Sent Cal pajamas, I mean, not Joe. (Though it would be funny and olden-timey if Joe actually wore real pajamas. And a sleeping cap. And walked around with a little candle in a candle-holder, looking for Santa Claus. But I digress.) They actually bought Cal a ton of other clothes, but they had to exchange them for the next size up. Because of Cal's MONSTROUS HUGENESS. They'll bring the rest of his wardrobe when they come to visit next weekend, but since this was the only thing that they couldn't exchange, they sent it early. It should fit him for...oh, I'd say another few weeks. This shot also gives you quite a nice view of the weird patchy baldness thing that Cal has going on the back of his head from lying on his back so much and craning his head around to look at things. I'm thinking of getting him some of that spray-on hair. You know, As Seen on TV.


* * *


So it's official. Earlier this week, The Underwear Drawer turned five years old. If this website were a kid, it would be starting Kindergarden and asking me where babies come from. Thank god it's not a kid.

If this anniversary has shown me anything, it's that time really does pass quickly when you're a grown-up. Both on the large scale and on the small scale--for example, this week, while tortuously long due to my Monday-Wednesday call dyad, also seemed to fly by. I can't believe it's almost November already. In the past, I would have embraced this like-the-sands-through-the-hourglass phenomenon--after all, the faster the weeks and months go, the faster the year goes, which puts me one year closer to finishing med school or residency and starting my Real Life--but now, I'm not sure I like it as much. One more month passing means that Cal's another month older, and I'm not sure I want it all to go so fast. Already he's not a newborn anymore, and while he's way more fun now than he was, I can't help but feel like if I blink, he's going to be a teenager who just wants to hang out with his friends at the Moon Mall and play on the holodeck (for these will be the teen pursuits of the future, you see). Sure, I want to see what the next phase of my life will bring after residency, but I'm not in so much of a rush anymore. I'm no longer waiting for my Real Life to begin. I'm living it already.

So here's to hoping that the next five years don't pass as quickly as the past five.

Currently reading: "My Life," the Bill Clinton memoirs. I admit, I didn't finish this book the first time around. There's, like, a lot of words in it and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment