Friday, January 11, 2008

extortion



I got my New York State medical license in 2004.  Since that time, I've already had to renew my license twice, at $600 a pop.  I don't have to take a test to renew my license, or prove anything about my clinical acumen or outcomes, or really do anything related to medicine.  It seems that all I have to do is fill out a short questionnaire detailing the breakup of my time in practice, confirm that I have not been convicted of any felonies, and of course, send in a check to New York State for $600.  

I do not know what this $600 is for, or really even where the money goes when I send it in.  I do not know why my license expires every two years, when even my learner's permit is good for five years at a time.  All I know is that if I don't send it in, my license to practice medicine in this state expires.  So I have to pay up.  I have no choice.  This latest renewal also unfortunately coincides with my application for a Georgia state medical license, so, you know, there goes another $400.

This is the biggest racket of all time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment