Saturday, March 29, 2008

get stuffed

I think it's only natural (and I did in fact predict it) that there would be some backlash once I started talking about this whole book process, and that some people would inevitably start to think me (and this is in my own words, from last November) a self-aggrandizing asshole. It is difficult, I think, to figure out how much sharing of the process is interesting, and how much starts being construed as pure self-absorption. And while I completely support everyone's right to opine, I would also venture to say that the line between the two varies on who you ask. I'm not going to worry about it too much, though. Having been at this for the past almost eight years (dude, really? I am old) I'm just going to keep writing about stuff that's going on, be it the book or residency or Cal or whatever else comes up. That is to say, I will bring updates about the book process up once in a while, but it is not the only thing going on in my life, and most of the time there's nothing much to say other than the fact that I have this open Word file idling in the background of my desktop.

I also want to let people know that nine years of medical training has bestowed me with a healthy sense of self-deprecation and a relatively thick skin. I take neither negative comments or positive affirmations all too seriously (how seriously can I take them? I mean, I appreciate the the comments and your time, but do remember that most of you don't actually know me), so on both fronts, I just sort of shrug and carry on.





Anyway, after I got home from work this morning, we headed out for breakfast and took a trip to the Natural History Museum to, you know, learn about, uh, taxidermy. (Full photo set here.) As usual, the Lower East Side to Upper West Side trek was the most grueling part of the day; there really is just no good way to connect those two dots via public transportation--probably the easiest thing would be to drive, but parking is always an issue. The good thing about having a membership (aside from saving money in the long-term) is that you can visit the museum with a two year-old and not feel too bad for leaving after an hour.

We gravitated towards the old-skool exhibits, of the "Birds of New York" and "Primates" variety, which I love for their mid-century aesthetic and the timeless quality of their displays. The mounting of the animals in the "African Mammals" exhibit hall is really amazing, they literally look like they might start breathing and walking around.




Considerably more lifelike than some people I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment