Sunday, July 06, 2008

the unwinnable argument




JOE
So, honey, I think you should consider switching you cell phone number to a 404 area code number, because [ennumerates various reasons why a 404 area code cell phone number would be beneficial now that we live in Atlanta].

MICHELLE
But...I have a 212 cell phone number.

JOE
So?

MICHELLE
But...I have a 212 cell phone number! Do you know how impossible it is to get a 212 number these days? Do you know what it means to have a 212 cell phone number?

JOE
Yeah? So?

MICHELLE
It's a 212 phone number! A 212 cell phone number! You can't even get a 212 number on a land line these days! I would be crazy to give up a 212 cell phone number! It's like winning the lottery and then throwing away the ticket!

JOE
It's just an area code.

MICHELLE
Right, but it's 212.

JOE
You're not making any sense.

MICHELLE
You just don't understand the 212 thing. Look, if I can get two phone number on my cell phone, I'll make the second number a 404 number. But I will not jettison my 212 cell phone number. What am I, nuts?

JOE
Yes.



Also fun for New Yorkers: This recent post in the New York Times blog, about kids and the subway. Quite amusing.

3 comments: