Monday, February 13, 2012

17 and 18 weeks

So I kind of feel like I should stop posting these pictures until something interesting is happening, but now that I decided to do this week-by-week thing, I am unable to half-ass it. I WANT TO USE MY WHOLE ASS. And if you're wondering, "Michelle, do you really wear the same clothes every day?" The answer is clearly: yes, yes I do.  Right down to the T-shirt.  (I swear these pictures were taken a week apart--I do launder my clothes occasionally.)  Also see evidence of the index finger I shaved off.

17 weeks:



18 weeks:



If also you were wondering: "Michelle, you use ultrasound regularly in your anesthesia practice. Are you ever tempted, maybe late at night, on call, when nothing else is going on and all the patients are tucked up in their little beds, to take a quick peek and see what weird contortions your fetus is doing? Because you think you feel it moving around in there, but at this point it could just as well be gas or the remnants of this afternoon's beef stroganoff?"  Well, the answer to that is also: yes--yes I am, and yes I have. I don't have the right kind of ultrasound probe of course (different probes have different degrees of penetration--we as anesthesiologists usually use a linear ultrasound for line placement or nerve blocks and as such usually don't need to see much deeper than two or three inches; while obstetrical ultrasound obviously goes deeper and through more tissue) but at this point, even at three inches it's enough to see a select body part or two.


(That's the feets.)

Hope your week is starting off right.

16 comments:

  1. First of all, these are clearly different scrubs from last week. i.e. no dong

    Second of all, way cool with the ultrasound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had access to an ultrasound machine and I was pregnant again, I would totally hit that up all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:50 PM

    I am so jealous!! If you and I stood side-by-side, people would probably peg me for the pregnant one, no joke. Congrats on the third little bean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:07 PM

    I too am jealous. I am back at my pre-pregnancy weight from my one kiddo, who is 2.5, but I still have a little belly and I look way more pregnant than you do in those pics! Congrats and thanks for keeping us updated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:39 PM

    I've always wondered if pregnant women transilluminate. Could you try it out for me! or maybe it might be easier at a later gestation :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had three shoulder surgeries in the last two years. Can I confess my love right here and now for nerve blocks, On-Q Pain Pumps and the skills that it takes to put those little gems in place????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:22 AM

    those are some ugly scrubs...please tell my you dont wear crocks with that..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry, my Prada scrubs were in the laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:15 PM

    Michelle, since being pregnant (or when you were pregnant w/ Mack), did you change the types of cases you did? When I was on my anesthesia rotation in med school, the doctors would ask if anyone in the room was pregnant and adjust accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was one anesthetizing location where I was scheduled to work where there was no gas scavenging system in place. I asked if I could be substituted out for that one occasion.

    Otherwise, I take the usual precautions, or extra precautions if I'm working around fluoroscopy or the like (wear double lead, try to limit my exposure as possible, etc.). But I would say overall I'm doing the same stuff that I was before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. medrecgal7:59 PM

    Anyone who knows how to correctly spell "fluoroscopy" is awesome in my book! (Having been there and done that personally, I learned plenty about it.) And I love your reply about the Prada scrubs...that just made me laugh. There are so many variations on them these days, but I suppose the OR is a place where they're utilitarian rather than cutesy. And I'd totally be sneaking an occasional peek if I had access to ultrasound while pregnant. Love these little updates!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:28 AM

    Cutesy scrubs are not the hospital-owned ones, they are ones that (usually nurses) buy to wear for work on the floors. In the OR, you have to wear hospital owned and laundered scrubs for sanitation purposes. Although, at least at my hospital, they tell us not to leave the hospital with our scrubs, we all do it. So I guess it doesn't really matter in the end, we COULD all wear cutesy colored scrubs since we all take them in and out of the hospital anyway, but doctors just don't do that. That's a nursing thing. The nurses can have their Prada scrubs, I'll keep my ugly hospital-owned ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the baby. I guess I haven't been around in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Although I must say I am officially hating you right now. Im twenty weeks along and quiet frankly look like two, okay three of you. How do you stay so tiny during pregnancy?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally "squee"ed when I found out you were pregnant with a similar due date to mine (July 13 here with baby 2). While my bump is as unimpressive as yours, my breasts have ballooned to a G cup (I'm a size 6) so people who know me can easily tell. My husband is an ER doc, and we have abused the ultrasound machine to determine the sex for both of my pregnancies. Fun misuse of resources! Yay!

    ReplyDelete