Wednesday, June 16, 2004

but first, a word from our sponsor






Joe in the basement of [Queens community hospital], where he's spending his last month of internship. Sometimes I wonder if the reason that there are so many McDonald's in hospitals is because of the insidiously symbiotic relation that the two instututions have. Hospital sends McDonald's customers, McDonald's sends hospital fat diabetics needing CABGes. It's win-win!

Another hectic day on the wards. There's nothing much exciting to tell you so I'll just tell you nothing at all. Seeing patients, admitting patients, discharging patients, planning to discharge patients, getting yelled at by administrators for not discharging patients fast enough. You know, the usual stuff. I was a little groggy this morning, because (aside from the fact that I woke up at 4:15am) the dog kept me up an hour past my designated bedtime. She kept pacing the room, whining, lying down, getting up. Finally I just kicked her out into the living room to sleep on the couch. I don't know what was wrong with her, but I assumed that maybe she was too hot or something.

Today, I notice that there's something wrong with her tail. Usually, when she's in a non-scared mood (other moods include happy, en garde, frisky, barky, and hungry) her tail stands straight up. But today, her tail is bent downwards, like a candy cane. It looks like there's a point in her tail that bends, and the tail distal to the kink has decreased muscle tone. She can still move her tail like usual, and it doesn't seem to be hurting her, but it just looks strange and pathalogic. Differential:

1.) Someone stepped on her tail.
2.) Some dog bit her tail at the park.
3.) She had a stroke affecting the part of the motor cortex controlling the tail.

Joe and I don't remember any incidents remotely like the first two happening, but we're going to ask our dogwalker if she knows what happened. As for the third, maybe I should start her on aspirin and see if the Dog Spa offers PT/OT.

Currently reading: "Found," a gift from Coleen for my birthday. This book contains the ideas for a thousand short stories. Thanks, Carl!

Support The Underwear Drawer! Shop at The Scutmonkey Store!

No comments:

Post a Comment