Wednesday, October 20, 2004

tick tick tick

The problem with being the sick-call resident is that you feel constantly on edge, as though you're sitting on a time bomb. You want to make plans for your day, or for your week, but there's always that threat of being called in. I don't mind being on call in general, I just need to be mentally prepared for it. I like to see it on my calendar weeks in advance, so that I can see the call approaching, like a train, or a charging bull. Subbing in on short notice fills me with dread and anxiety. There's something indecent about being called at home and told to come into work when you're not really scheduled to be there. It's like having the long arm of the hospital sneakily infiltrating my home and dragging me to work in my pajamas.

On a separate topic, I have decided to keep a separate page for random photo projects that fall outside the narrative of the daily entries. That way, people can look at the pictures if they want, but won't have to suffer through them if they don't. Because the last thing I want to become is one of those people who are all, oh my word, I'm ever so artistic, look at me, I took a picture of a LEAF. Hey, I took that high school photography class too, so I know the pain of demonstrative self-indulgence. But at the same time, hey, photography is fun, and I'm starting to pick it up again, so if you want to take a look at what I'm shooting, by all means. There's a link to the photo project page on the sidebar, and I will let you know when I post anything new up there.

Yeah.

Currently reading: OK, I have to admit, despite the adage of "2 months, 2 weeks, number 2 pencil" (the conventional wisdom for how much you should study for Steps 1, 2 and 3 of the Boards, respectively--obviously, the pencil reference was a remnant of the bubble sheet days of the Boards; can you imagine the horror of a two day bubble sheet exam?) I have caved and gone back to the method that worked best for me on Steps 1 and 2. Thanks right, good old Q Bank. I know, I know. But in a staring contest with the NBME, I blinked. I just need something more active to engage me in my studying than just reading alone. And I need to build up my stamina. Eye of the tiger!

No comments:

Post a Comment