Thursday, December 23, 2004

don we now our gay apparel

I don't think anyone is much in the mood for work now, what with the Christmas three-day weekend coming up. (I mean, theoretically it would be a three-day weekend, if I weren't slated for a 10am-10pm shift in the ER Sunday night.) I don't want to work. I don't want to see yet another kid with fever and vomitting. I don't want to fill out any more forms for Head Start or WIC. I want to sit right here, drink hot chocolate with a candy cane in it, wrap presents, and watch The Food Network "Seasons Eatings" programming.

Part of the reason that I don't want to leave the house is that the past in the few days, the weather had turned super-cold. Like, instantly. We were just moseying along in the mid 40's, la la la, mild winter, and then all of a sudden, bam, temps in the teens. What the hell is this, the frozen tundras of Canada? And can't we just surround the entire city in a giant climate-controlled warmth sphere, like Biodome? Come on Bloomberg, if you have the budget for The Olympics and some ill-conceived football stadium on the West Side, surely you can finance my warmth sphere. Call me.

And on a completely different topic, did you hear that the sixth Harry Potter book is coming out in July? Not to be a 12 year-old kid about it or anything, but OHMIGOD, HARRY POTTER, EEEEE! I can't wait for this book to come out. My sister inducted me into the Cult of Potter during my little appendicitis episode two years ago, when I was laid up in the hospital and desperate for things to read that would take my mind off a.) the fact that I was actually a patient in the fucking hospital, and b.) the fact that my roommate was a crazy old bat who kept screaming nonsensical things in Spanish, like that the nurses were trying to kill her. The fifth Harry Potter did not disappoint, though sometimes I got annoyed with Harry's "adolescent" "moodiness" that manifested in his speaking in ALL CAPS because YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE SINCE YOUR PARENTS DIDN'T GET KILLED BY VOLDEMORT. And I am less than thrilled with the whole Cho Chang sideplot, and even less than less than thrilled by the hintings of some Ron + Hermione romance. Ick. Let's keep it clean, people.

Currently reading: This article in the New York Times about the history of organ transplantation. So they're considering doing face transplants now? How very like "Face/Off," starring Nicholas Cage and John Travolta. "I will become him."

No comments:

Post a Comment