Sunday, December 12, 2004

what to wear to a brunch

We had a fun albeit whirlwind (read: tiring) visit to Baltimore on Saturday, packed with family and gifts and lots and lots and lots of food. So much so that I feel kind of ill, even the next day. It was like some sort of Norman Rockwell Christmas extravaganza, with all the requisite trimmings. They even had ye olde Christmas ham, which is something I've never had before. I mean, not like I've never had ham ever, because duh, I do live in the universe--but moreso in sandwich form, not so much the giant hunk of loin requiring carving and the like. My family is more of a roast beef and turkey clan, even though the more I have turkey, the more I realize that I don't really like it all that much. Maybe in a soup. But not to gnaw on the actual bird carcass.

So there was that. And now, this morning, we have to pile back into the car and drive on over to Scarsdale (which I imagine you have to say with a haughty upper-class accent: Scahs-dale) where the ophthalmology department is having a holiday brunch that we're obligated to attend. What does one wear to a holiday brunch anyway? Spring and summer brunches are easy to dress for, all linen and cute sundresses and the like. But a holiday brunch is tougher. First of all, there are temperature issues to consider. I must protect mine tender ass from freezing off, yet still ensure that said ass looks nice. Secondly is how to look festive and put together without looking a.) like you're dressed for work, b.) like you're dressed for the prom, or c.) like a whorish lady Santa Claus--think short red dress with fur-trimmed boots (and don't laugh too hard, because I saw one of the attendings dressed exactly like this in the hospital a week ago). I decided to go with the flowered skirt and sweater set option. At the risk of looking too button-down with the sweater set, the skirt has some little sequins on it, though you can only see the sequins if you look very closely. Which I hope no one will, because that would be weird.

Currently reading: This article in the New York Times about a case of elder abuse. I want to nominate it to Dave Eggers for his next annual Non-Required Reading compendium, but I'm not sure they take nominations. Do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment