Saturday, June 18, 2005

that's a great price for twelve pounds of nutmeg!

First off, a silly Manhattanite question: what can you guys tell me about Costco? What is it, like a gigantic bulk-goods department store? Or more like a supermarket? And what do you usually go there to stock up on? Especially you people with kids and/or pets--do you find that an annual membership is worthwhile? I mean, I guess people must, otherwise no one would shop there, but I just realized I have no idea what it is that people buy when they shop there. For some reason, all that comes to mind is giant, industrial-sized drums of mayonnaise, but there must be more than that, no? I'm just asking because I just recently realized that there's a Costco in Queens, and we're probably going to go swing by next weekend just to check out what they have to offer. I would be very into it if we could stock up on supermarket-type dry goods and toilet paper and that kind of thing, but their website doesn't seem to feature that much of those products. However, they are featuring a great deal on caskets and Swarovski crystal unicorns, which I have...less use for.


* * *


Joe and I went to see "Batman Begins" last night. We weren't slavering fans of the series eagerly awaiting this latest release, but the truth of the matter is that after seeing "Star Wars," there were no more Big Summer Movies that we were interested in seeing (aside from "War of the Worlds," which hasn't come out yet). And "Batman" got reasonable reviews (the Times called it "surprisingly good," which is kind of a backhanded compliment, I guess), so what the hell. Anyway, we actually liked it a lot. It had a good story and it wasn't a total joke, like the recent "Batman" movies have been (the one with George Clooney Batman and Arnold Schwarzenegger as "Mister Freeze" comes to mind). Plus, there were a lot of good people in it. Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman...like, hello, parade of Oscar-caliber talent. And Christian Bale was sufficiently brooding and chiseled. Even Katie Holmes couldn't ruin it, despite the fact that she seems to have some kind of Bell's Palsy and is only able to smile out of one side of her face.


* * *


Yesterday I cleaned out the refrigerator and freezer, organized our linen closet, and sterilized all five million pieces of Cal's milk collection system. Then it occurred to me: does this count as "nesting"? My closet is still a mess and it's not bothering me in the slightest, so I'm inclined to think that I'm not.

Currently reading: Just did a quick re-read of "Memoirs of a Geisha," because it was just sitting there on the front shelf and I had nothing else on deck. However, I have some books arriving in from Amazon in a few weeks, including the new Marjane Satrapi book "Embroideries," so hopefully I'll have something fresh to read soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment