Tuesday, April 06, 2010

one of these things is not like the other

I was driving the other day when I got stopped behind this car, which was, in the fashion of the times, bedecked with many an opinionated bumper sticker.





Now, this is not a knock on the politics expressed via bumper sticker. People certainly have the right to express themselves via rear window decal, just so long as it isn't with a "Calvin peeing" logo. However, it occurred to me that one of these bumper stickers was not quite in line with the others. See if you can spot it.








(Note also, that the hood of my car was covered in a fine dusting of yellow pollen. Welcome to springtime in Atlanta. I can't tell if everything is yellow because it is coated in pollen, or if it is actually my eyeballs themselves that are coated.)

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:35 PM

    Interesting... the last one's obviously different but it seems consistent with a "live and let live (without society/gov't interference)" ideology. --Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point! I guess I just meant that in my mind the "Keep _____ Weird" stickers are most often associated with urban hippie-types (See: the book "Things White People Like").

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt slightly inferior because I couldn't figure it out. Now I get it. I interpreted it as Eleanor did, but after your comment, I can understand both takes on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:20 AM

    Actually, Atlanta has a strong BDSM community. Perhaps the bumper sticker was referring to that!

    Also, all the yellow pollen is from Oak trees :)
    Melaka

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:00 PM

    I don't understand the allure of bumper stickers , period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bumper stickers say this: "I HAVE OPINIONS ABOUT STUFF! LET ME SHOW THEM TO YOU, PERSON STOPPED BEHIND ME AT A RED LIGHT!" Which, you know, is fine. Kind of like reading the back of a cereal box--what else am I going to look at?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe the "Keep Austin Weird" campaign was initially tied to small / local businesses. While I don't know anything about East Atlanta, I would guess this guy owns his own business. I agree, though, that at first blush it seems out of place. :) Small businesses are where hippies and fiscal conservatives intersect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:20 PM

    That could be an MCAT question!

    ReplyDelete