Thursday, May 20, 2004

don't quit your day job



(From Ugly Dolls.)


A lot of people have been asking me when I'm going to post the next Scutmonkey comic. The answer is: when I get a chance to draw it. I have it halfway fleshed out in my mind, and in hastily scribbled sketch outlines, but I just don't have the time to work on it right now. Or I'm too tired when I get home and I don't want to just hack at it and do a crappy job, because it does require some degree of focus.

The good news is that I'm on vacation in a week and a half. Two weeks off! And, since Joe and I didn't get vacation together again, there are no big travel plans in the works. So my plan for vacation is to do some urban gardening on our shiny new balcony, to finish my surgery comic, and to at least get most of the legwork done for Issue #1 of Scutmonkey. I've been very slowly getting it all together (though there's been a lag since I started NICU), and I think if I just had a couple of days off, I could probably pull it all together.

All this cartooning would really be a lot easier to do if I didn't have this crazy day job. But I guess if I didn't have this day job, I really wouldn't have that much to write about.

On a completely unrelated note (well, somewhat related, as it's about work) I have become completely obsessed with the transilluminator. In brief, it's a light that shines through the patient's subcutaneous tissue (on a kid's hand or foot, for instance--even a whole arm, if they're tiny) and basically shows you where their veins are. I don't know if it's like the story of Dumbo with the magic feather, but I got an IV in an eensy weensy little baby the other day (that's purely scientific, by the way, "eensy weensy") when I used the transilluminator. Sometimes I just like to play with it myself, shining it up through my own fingers to see where all the veins are inside. Fun!

Currently reading: That article in this week's New Yorker about searching for giant squid.

Support The Underwear Drawer! Shop at The Scutmonkey Store

No comments:

Post a Comment