Wednesday, June 02, 2004

the story of how i hurt my foot

I realize I didn't even tell you all the story of how I hurt my foot.

So it was Saturday night, my last night on call in the NICU (well, I guess technically it was early early Sunday morning) and things seemed pretty quiet, so I was catching a few Zs on the lower bunk in our call room. Maybe ten minutes into the nap, my phone started beeping in this piercing way, which means that some kid on the unit was coding (read: trying to die). I looked at the display for the location of the code and stepped out of bed...

(So I should mention that I was sleeping in this very contorted way, with my legs folded up under me. Think about being in the lotus position while lying down, and that's what I was doing. Why I was sleeping in this position is more of a mystery, because it doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable.)

...and fucking FELL ONTO THE FLOOR. Apparently, in that position, both of my legs had completely fallen asleep to the point that they were both numb and useless, and when I stepped out of bed, they both totally just caved in. And then I was on the floor, all confused.

I managed to right myself and wobble over to the kid's bed on my bloodless legs, and everything was OK (there were roughly 200 people at her bed already, and she had already started to come back up), but damn, that was crazy. I didn't even realize until much later, when the feeling came back, that I had twisted the hell out of my first two toes on my way down. They're all bruised and swollen, with blood extravasating into the joint spaces. The hazards of sleeping on the job, I guess.

I just wish I had a picture of myself falling out of the bed in the callroom. That would be priceless.

Currently reading: "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim". I liked that picture of David Sedaris on the book jacket. I think I have kind of a crush on him, even though he prefers males of his own gender.

Support The Underwear Drawer! Shop at The Scutmonkey Store!

No comments:

Post a Comment