Saturday, July 10, 2004

dilletante

(pager goes off, showing the number for the ER)

MICHELLE
(Calling back)
Hi, this is Neurology, returning a page.

MARIAH
Hi, this is Mariah, one of the Peds residents.

MICHELLE
Oh, hey Mariah, it's me, Michelle.

MARIAH
Oh, hey Michelle! You're on Neuro now?

MICHELLE
Yeah, that's me. Neuro "consult" at your service, bringing expert advice to your door.

MARIAH
Oh! Well, I guess that answers my question.

MICHELLE
What was the question?

MARIAH
Well, we were just trying to tap this kid down in the ER and having kind of a rough time of it, so we were calling Neuro to see if there was anyone on call who was really good at doing LPs.

MICHELLE
Well then...I guess the answer is no. I mean, I can do them, but...

MARIAH
But you're not a Neuro resident.

MICHELLE
Right-o. Sorry.

MARIAH
That's OK.

MICHELLE
I have failed you.

MARIAH
That's OK, we managed to get some CSF. Just not a lot.

MICHELLE
OK. The kid's being admitted?

MARIAH
Yeah, to the medicine team.

MICHELLE
OK then. Sorry again for not being the expert.

MARIAH
Don't worry about it.


I'm useless as Neuro consult. I couldn't help but to think, though, that maybe when I switch to Anesthesia, I'll actually start developing a skill set that's useful to call upon. I mean, not like I can't tap a kid, or that I haven't in the past, but the idea of me going down to the ER as the "expert consult" to tap a kid after the ER attendings were having trouble getting fluid is a little silly.

Currently reading: Nursing notes for a consult in the PICU.

Support The Underwear Drawer! Shop at The Scutmonkey Store!

No comments:

Post a Comment