Monday, October 18, 2004

this one's for the geezers

In studying for Step 3, I'm encountering a lot of phrases that I haven't heard in a long time. Phrases like, "unstable angina," "temporal arteritis," and "87 year-old man." What, there are 87 year-old men now? Who knew? I guess aside from doing a Family Medicine internship or some sort of transitional year, everyone is going to have their knowledge gap when going into Step 3. Medicine people are going to have a hard time remembering Peds. OB-Gyn residents are going to have a hard time remembering men. And Surgery residents are going to have a hard time remembering patients. (Ha! I kid. I kid because I love.)

Aside from reminding myself about statins and such, I've been enjoying my time semi-off. After consuming more food than the human stomach can possibly hold at Curry in a Hurry Saturday night, we ended up going with the economical option of renting from Blockbusters rather than going to see "Friday Night Lights." So we rented "The Bourne Identity," mostly to fill in the gaps outstanding in our understanding of "The Bourne Supremacy." I guess we watched them backwards. But it didn't really matter anyway. The movie was appropriately Euro-travelogue and exciting, and Matt Damon was handsome and emotionally wounded. I think that he has effectively put to rest the issue of "Who wins? Matt Damon or Ben Affleck?" I think we can sum this up by just looking at each entrant's Christmas 2005 selection. "Ocean's Twelve" vs. (cough) "Surviving Christmas." Thank you, and good night.

Since I'm on sick-call as well as being on elective, I actually got pulled this afternoon to cover for a short-staffed cardiology team while one of the first-years was in clinic. So I played intern for the day. Which blew, because being an intern kind of sucks, even if you're just filling in. But there was something very liberating about knowing that I was just there for one day. Liberating, yet at the same time unsatisfying, to follow patients for one day only. It's kind of like working in the ER--after you do all that work, you're curious about what happens next.

Currently reading: My old med school pharmacology notes. Ah, it's all coming back to me. Kind of.

No comments:

Post a Comment