Sunday, May 08, 2011

radiolucent

Hey everyone, hope your Mother's Day was swell.  And thanks again for all the great photos you've been sending me--I have them all saved, but I'm going to preempt them for this series, which I received from Bea, Eve, Jess and Tony, some of my old friends from med school.  They got quite into the spirit of things, as you can see.  AND I LOVE IT.


Here is my book getting a mammogram.  Or rather, my book as a boob.


And here Natalie, a patient care assistant, demonstrates that reading my book can make getting a mammogram a slightly less unpleasant experience.


Tony, my old med school classmate, poses in the CT scanner with his copy.


And Bea, who's actually in the book (she's the one who compares med school to being in the army) gets a brain MRI while reading.  Now if only it was a functional MRI, so we could see which areas of the brain light up.  (My guess: the hippocampus, and the amygdala.  Neuroanatomy humor, hey-ooooo!)


This one I thought was super-cool: my book in the MRI coil.  See how the suture needles are attracted to the MRI field, and are getting dragged into the coil?  I get really paranoid about that every time I have to administer anesthesia in the MRI scanner--I keep having this vision that my pen or something is going to shoot out of my pocket into the coil and stab someone.



Hello, other authors.  Have you had your books examined under fluoroscopy?  Pity.  IT IS AWESOME.




Luckily, the scan came out clean.  Radiolucent as the driven snow, baby.

Bea was right, by the way.  Med school is like the army.  I mean, there's no actual warfare (for the most part), but you're working hard and going through some physically and psychological hardships with the same group of people for four years, all while charged with a greater sense of purpose.  And it really affects the quality of the relationships you form with people during those four years.  I met my best friend in med school--later, I married him.  There are friends I have from med school that I know I'll keep in touch with my entire life.  Because we've been through the fire together and emerged intact.  We did it together.  And most importantly, we had fun.  




Anyway, that's something I want to convey to people who are pre-med right now, or in med school, or going through residency.  It's hard, but you have people around you, and you're doing it together.  Don't forget to have fun.  Because that sense of fun is what's going to carry you through, and it's what's going to meet you on the other side.

Thanks, Bea, Jess, Eve and Tony!  I admit, getting that photo montage from you guys made me tear up a little bit, and I am not a person who habitually tears up at stuff, with the exception of "Toy Story 3," because good lord, I'm human after all.

*          *          *

Hey, do you have a radio?  Do you live in the Southeast?  Well then, listen to me on the radio tomorrow!  I will try not to embarrass anyone!  First at 8:20am on KFRU-AM out of Columbia, MO on the David Lile Show, and then at 9:35am on WRVC-AM out of Huntington, West VA.  (The website for WRVC-AM does not seem to be displaying correctly on my browser, but maybe it's just me?)  It's live radio for both shows, so watch it in the same spirit that you watched that live episode of "30 Rock," 50% out of actual interest for the topic, and 50% for the bread and circus and the excitement of me slipping up and saying something irrevocably dumb.  I LIVE TO ENTERTAIN YOU.

Also, let me point out that I added a meet-up for after the NYC event this Wednesday at the Columbia University bookstore.  So after the reading, let's say around 8:00pm, we'll meet at The Heights, which is about a five minute walk away.  It's a nice place and they have a nice rooftop bar, and yes, yes, I know, it's a Wednesday and you have to get home to study (or whatever)...but have have to eat anyway, and it's not like we're going to keep you out all night and get you wasted or anything, just stop by and relax with some harmless pleasant nerds.  It'll be pleasant and I guarantee that taking a few hours off on one night will do more for good for your brain than studying all the rest of the entire week.

I'm shipping out bookmarks in the middle of next week.  Even though the book is widely available at this point, I did say originally that the bookmark giveaway was for all orders prior to May 11th (which is the "official" publication date), so that offer still stands as is.  You still have a couple of days to get your free bookmarks and a personal note from me, so if you were waiting for some reason, go ahead an order the book and then e-mail me  to let me know you did!  I will mail you one bookmark for each book you order prior to Wednesday, so yes, if you order ten books, I will mail you ten bookmarks.  Need I also point out that it makes a wonderful graduation gift?  Much better than a polyester stuffed bear wearing a mortarboard, I can tell you that right now.

9 comments:

  1. Is it too late to get a bookmark? I just finished the book this morning (so I obviously ordered it before May 11th). It was great but got me to flip flop on my idea that I want to go to medical school. I would love to talk to you about it and wonder about non-trads going to med school. How do they do? What do the traditional students think of them both in med school and they after as residents?

    Thanks! Great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow a radiology shout! i feel so special (radiologist in training in australia here)! cracked up at the inclusion of the lube on the screening table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:22 AM

    Michelle,
    Any plans to hang out in Philadelphia after the book signing? (I suspect you will be on the first plane home though.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, we're planning an after-event in Philly too! (I'll be taking the train back to NYC the following day.) Any good idea for locations? :)

    Also, yes, bookmarks for pre-orders still available before May 11th! So e-mail me today or tomorrow to get in under the wire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:38 PM

    Stumbled on your blog while I was Googling, looking for a scrub cap pattern (for my gynecologist, the Mets fan, not me ... I'm a journalist) and I promptly pre-ordered your book. Read it one sitting ... loved it. It offers terrific insights into what doctors' lives are like and, I thought, interesting insight into why people become doctors, how they view their professions and how grateful we should for people who are willing to make such big sacrifices for the greater good. Oh, and I hate people who are accomplished as you are! A doctor AND a writer. Sheesh. Some of us can barely get ourselves out of the house in the morning! Congrats, however. I like the book and the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How far apart are your contractions?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meanwhile, Chenier tried resting his ailing back before finally giving in to disc surgery a month before training camp. He managed to play 27 games during the 78 79 season the last timethe franchise won a division title but wasn't much of a factor. He gave it another go in 79 80, but on December 5, 1979, one day short of the seventh anniversary of his 53 point game, Chenier, a three time all star, was traded to Indiana for "future considerations.". (Michael Kors Black Gold Purse)

    I was 24 and doing a job that I believed in for an institution I was proud to be a part of, Kain said Thursday in an interview. "But I was being severely abused and had nowhere to turn. Nobody talked about things like this. (Michael Kors Black Raven Shoulder Bag)

    Coach Outlet Baby Bag, One way to experience Atlanta arts scene in various forms is at the Inman Park Festival and Tour of Homes. Held the last full weekend of April each year, Inman Park Festival has, for the last 47 years, served up a cornucopia of local and regional arts. If you are looking for visual arts, check out Inman Park Arts Crafts Market.

    Coach Bags On Sale Online Outlet, Dmkovics was quick to caution that, while the presence of water on the solar system largest planet is promising, it does not mean it is a precursor for life. Finally, where there's the potential for liquid water, the possibility of life cannot be completely ruled out. So, though it appears very unlikely, life on Jupiter is not beyond the range of our imaginations," he added..

    Coach Outlet Bags Lower Quality, Any use of the Service through your Account will be deemed as being used by you. Cracked is entitled to rely on the contact and other information that is supplied to us through your Account. Your Account is non transferable and non assignable..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm shipping out bookmarks in the middle of next week. Even though the book is widely available at this point, I did say originally that the bookmark giveaway was for all orders prior to May 11th (which is the "official" publication date), so that offer still stands as is. beautiful bed sheets , king size comforter sets , gul ahmed single bed sheets , fancy bed sheets with price , white duvet cover , vicky razai factory address , jersey sofa cover You still have a couple of days to get your free bookmarks and a personal note from me, so if you were waiting for some reason, go ahead an order the book and then e-mail me to let me know you did! I will mail you one bookmark for each book you order prior to Wednesday, so yes, if you order ten books, I will mail you ten bookmarks. Need I also point out that it makes a wonderful graduation gift? Much better than a polyester stuffed bear wearing a mortarboard, I can tell you that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stumbled on your blog while I was Googling, looking for a scrub cap pattern (for my gynecologist, the Mets fan, not me ... I'm a journalist) and I promptly pre-ordered your book
    Uncovered lightbulbs may expose food to which type of hazard
    Canadian Marcellus Edson patented which food item in 1884?

    ReplyDelete